The things I think every cook should have in their kitchen.
- A dutch or french oven to go from stove-top to oven.
- Cast-iron skillet to still go from stove-top to oven, but also to ensure even, high heat for searing.
- A food processor to make short work of chopping, slicing, and shredding (like for these).
- A good chef’s knife. You need one of these more than you need a whole block of knives that you might not use.
- A chopped things scooper. So simple and yet so much more efficient for transferring those beautifully chopped veggies from your cutting board to the pot, without having to dull your knife (please don’t use the blade side of your knife to shuffle things!).
- A good blender (Vitamix is supposed to be worth the cost, but really any old decent blender will work for most applications) and/or an immersion blender. The immersion blender is great for blending directly into the pot (soups, mashed potatoes), and also for single-serving smoothies.